Cajun Recipe

Usually around this time of the year I get homesick for my "Cajun Country" heritage. In  honor of my grandmother, my mom, my sister and my aunt I post a great recipe. I am not near the cook they were/are but that has never stopped me from trying and enjoying the marvelous meals.

Once-A-Week-Chicken


1 Fryer 3lb cut in pieces                            
2 Tbs vegetale oil
1 Medium onion, Chopped
3 Cloves garlic, chopped
Water
Salt and Pepper to taste

Heat oil in skillet over medium heat.  Add seasoned chicken, chopped onions and garlic.  Stir fry, browning chicken on both sides.


Add 1/2 cup water. Cover skillet with lid partially off (allowing some steam to escape). Check often; when water is reduced, turn chicken over and add 1/2 cup more water,  Cover as befoe and continue the same process for one hour. Then uncover completely and let the water reduce to oil.  Turn chicken once and take out, place on a serving platter.  Add 1 1/4 cup water to onions, garlic and drippings.  Stir well scraping the bottom and sides of skillet.  Simmer to 3 to 4 minutes.  Serve this natural sauce over hot white rice along with the chicken.
Recipe taken from my Aunt's cook book Roux Roux Roux (pronounced Roo) by Theresa Nell (McDaniel) Millang.

Thank you Lord for the rich heritage and the love of cooking passed down from generation to generation.   


*************************************************************************

I recently posted at The Redhead Riter - Witty, Intelligent & Addictive Community  regarding her Garage sales forum:

10/27/2010: Oh Heather how have you Not gotten into flea markets/garage sale/ and/or thrift shops! Only sugguestion get up early, because there are A Lot of 'salers' out there. ;o) and have fun. I love knowing that I have saved alot of money 'thrifting' for things to decorate my house. I am trying to think of the one thing my "most favoite find" but having done this for 40+ years it's hard. Yes, now I am at the stage where there is little that I do not have/want, so now I am l@@king out for my friends and family!

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi elle;
    I am not sure what te verse for today was, as it changes (daily), do you recall?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment
Thank you for your thoughts!