A Childhood Memory

A Childhood Memory

Lost Kitten
(written by *D*, as told by Sandra)

Our family was greatly blessed as we were native to Louisiana and more particular the Opelousas area of South Louisiana with “kin” scattered from Houma to Shreveport. Back in the 40’s and 50’s it was common to hear French being spoken, smelling Chicory coffee and Chicken Gumbo simmering on the stove and enjoying the fun times at Mamma Alice and Pappa Leo rural home.

The excitement had been building for several weeks. At first my parents whispered to one another and would spell a lot of words. Though it was several months until Christmas, as an eight year old I was hoping that perhaps there was going to celebrate Christmas twice that year, with all the secrecy. You know what I mean; with a gleam in their eyes and smiles exchanged between the adults they were a-buzz until Terry or I came into the room. We were greeted with silence and more smiles.

At last the children were brought into the secret. Our family was moving to El Dorado, Arkansas, due to a “Big Job Promotion”. Our family worked for Halliburton Oil Co. and they needed my Dad’s expertise in the Oil Fields of South Arkansas.

The excitement of the move overshadowed the sadness of leaving our family and friends. For weeks we prepared, wrapped and packed. The U-Haul was all packed and it was time to climb in the car for the eight hour journey. I had packed my most valuable stuff to be with me in the car; dolly, coloring book, PJ’s, and the fluffy blanket for my KITTY to sleep on. “Here KITTTY, KITTY. Here KITTY, KITTY.” “Mamma where is KITTY? “Look in the house one more time”. “Here KITTY, KITTY”, look under the car; is she up the Catawba Tree??” “Terry run next door and see if you can find KITTY!” “NO MOMMA! I will not get in the car without KITTY. Just leave me here. KITTY will soon be back and we will live here alone”. “NO, NO, NO I will not leave KITTY” “NO, NO, NO I do not want another kitty when we get to El Dorado, I want my KITTY”. The tears fell like rain as I was placed in the car and we pulled away from Opelousas. I wept as I fervently looked out the rear window of the car for a glimpse of KITTY.

It was the saddest day of my life. I was heartbroken. I hated El Dorado, I hated Terry. I hated my parents, I hated everyone. “Oh, KITTY I love you and will never forget you.” Well, you know things have a way of working out and the Lord truly loves little children. As the door of the U-Haul opened in El Dorado, AR out jumped KITTY right into my arms. In bed that night, with KITTY purring in my arms I said, “Momma and Dad I love you. Terry I love you, KITTY I love you. Thank you Jesus, I love you”.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment
Thank you for your thoughts!